Bollard Rd history began in AucklandNov 28th, 2008 | By Philippa Stevenson | Category: Local History, Local People
Tamahere history buffs and particularly those in Bollard Road may be interested in an online reference to the early 20th Century Cabinet Minister the road was named after, Richard Francis Bollard.
Bollard, who hailed from Avondale, Auckland and farmed at Tamahere, became chairman of the Waikato County Council and was the first MP for Raglan after the electorate was constituted in 1911, as detailed on this blog devoted to the history of Avondale.
Bollard died of pneumonia in 1927 and an obituary in the Auckland Sun noted that he was appointed Junior Government Whip in 1918 and Senior Whip in 1919. From that office he was promoted to cabinet rank as Minister of Internal Affairs in 1923.
Mr. Bollard was in his youth a keen sportsman, particularly interested in cricket and rifle shooting, but he was a fine pheasant shot also. Only recently the Otaki Maori Racing Club elected him a patron and the Wellington Trotting Club in his honour recently put the Bollard Handicap on the programme for the spring meeting.
The Bollard family have been closely associated with Anglicanism and the late Minister of Internal Affairs was a lay reader in the Tamahere Anglican Church.