Chemical fear in Hastings fire


Williams St, Hastings has been cordoned off after fears about chemicals from a coolstore fire today.

The Hastings District Council is advising all residents living near the site of the huge fire to stay inside and close all doors and windows, reported NewstalkZB

The massive blaze at the coolstore and pack house was under control, but another fire had broken out at another pack house nearby, the radio station reported at 12.25pm.

Witnesses to the first blaze say there was a loud explosion just before 9am. It is believed electricians and other staff members were working in the coolstore when the explosion occurred.

Police say nearly all staff managed to get out unharmed, with one person suffering smoke inhalation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.