St Stephen’s Church Tamahere is sporting a gleaming new roof.
The old cracked and leaking Decramastic tile roof came down this week and was replaced in just four days with longrun roofing by The Roofing Specialists – no easy task with a 60deg roof pitch and under a baking sun.
The old roof had been in place since the church was built in 1972 on the ashes of the original 1882 church, which was destroyed by fire in 1970.
The only item to survive the fire was a wrought iron cross, which is now on the wall of the sanctuary behind the church altar. Its image is used on church stationery.
Church records show that while the foundation stone was laid on the present site on the corner of Airport Rd and Tamahere Drive in 1882 regular Church of England services were first conducted in Tamahere more than 15 years earlier.