Local historic places in line for fund

The Waikato District Council’s Heritage Assistance Fund, designed to conserve, restore and protect valued district heritage, is available to Tamahere residents.

The fund is available only for privately owned heritage items that are listed in the 2013 district plan, which includes several historic places or homes in Tamahere.

On the list and open to applications from the fund are Tamahere School’s historic school building, the Martyn Homestead in Pencarrow Rd, Maori Gardens in Hooker Rd, the Hanatoria Pa Homestead in Ringer Rd, and the site of the peace accord signing on the corner of Bruntwood and Tauwhare Roads.

Read more

Martyn heritage lives on

A resident of an historic Pencarrow Rd, Tamahere homestead, tells its story …

Early in 1866, John Martyn Jnr and William Lyn Martyn, recently arrived from Cornwall, purchased 2000 acres (809ha) of land from Capt William Steele, John Crawford, and Capt. Davis, who had purchased the land in the preceding year.

The Martyns’ 2000 acres was bounded by the Waikato River to the West, and what are now Airport Rd/SH1, and the southern leg of Pencarrow Road. The Martyns called their farm Pencarrow.

Read more